For those of you in the Washington, DC area, WABA maintains a list of local stores. And of course, I have a few personal recommedations:
- Arrow Bicycles opened a few years ago in Hyattsville. The owners, Chris and Chris, know their stuff and are good people.
- BicycleSPACE is a new shop in downtown DC, owned by people who have been in and around the DC bike scene for a long time--good people. The shop has a nice selection of practical bikes and accessories, and a great community ethos.
- Bikes at Vienna in Vienna, VA. Tim Fricker was the service manager, now he owns the place. That alone is enough for me to recommend it highly. Tim is the nicest guy you'll ever meet, an excellent mechanic.
- Silver Cycles - Montgomery Hills, near central Silver Spring. This is a good neighborhood bike shop. The woman who owns it, Linda Mack, is very nice and sensible. She's in the bike business because she loves bikes and likes people. She's an expert at fitting women, and has broad knowledge about "family-cycling."
- Velo-Orange - Annapolis, MD. The bicycle-aesthetes around the world have been jumping up and down with increasing frequency as VO has expanded its offerings. It's not for everyone, but it sure is nice stuff, and good lookin'.
But really, you have to decide for yourself.